View Single Post
Old 10-27-2015, 02:12 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
stargazer016
Quit 4/17/15

Amp, you make some great points. I have had friends say the same thing to me. Let's just drink tonight! They don't understand...

It is hard to believe that many of us are now six months alcohol free. Yet, six months not drinking really has not put much of a cushion from addiction in my life. If I was recovering from mono, or a broken bone even, six months distance from the disease or injury is huge. Six months not drinking does not provide the same cushion. Sure, we have all developed coping strategies and like ourselves better as sober individuals. But I realize that, I too, am one drink away from becoming the drink all day person I once was. I am realizing that there is no "cure" from my addiction. The neural pathways in my brain are permanently in the "on" position for alcohol.
If it were not for reading and posting here daily, I know with almost absolute certainty that I would have convinced myself to try the moderate drinking routine yet again. It's getting darker and colder here, work is crazy, my SAD is nipping at my heels and my family life is chaotically busy. After six months, my AV is subtly suggesting life would be better with a drink in my hand.

Six months sober can seem like six days sober.

One day at a time...

Have a great day everyone!