Old 06-20-2005, 05:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
FrustratedDonny

My Wife Is Threatening to Leave - What Do I Tell Her?

A week ago my wife sat down at dinner and gave me an ultimatum - either I stop drinking altogether or she's going to leave.
First, let me say that she is completely off base. I admit that I am an alcoholic and she's keeps trying to get me to go to AA meetings, but I told her the first (and last) one I went to was filled with a bunch of holier-than-thou people who said I wasn't ready. Well, if I'm sitting at the meeting, what does that say? Bunch of a-holes. There was this one in particular who told me I wasn't ready and he told his story about how he couldn't hold down a job while on the booze. Well, I get trashed almost every night and still get up to go to work at a construction site. I almost dented the guy's cheek, the loser.

Anyway, so my wife tosses this ultimatum at me. First, I have cut back on my drinking. I haven't touched the hard stuff for over 3 weeks...only beer. And she doesn't realize that I have a disease - alcoholism. I showed her on the internet here that its a disease and she says she can't take my puking and pissing on the rug and passing out in the car and whatnot. Well, I'm trying! I haven't had Wild Turkey in 3 weeks, let alone scotch and soda, which is my favorite. I am just drinking beer. I still support her and pay the bills. She's a fat loaf who can't get a job because she says there's no jobs out there in her field. Then she'll start to whine about my drinking and how I don't help out around the house and leave messes (puke, urine) for her to clean up and how I've been banging our cars coming home. I have to listen to all that and it drives me so crazy that I end up at Barton's or the Strip Club and get blitzed just trying to erase her voice from my head. Don't get me wrong - I love my wife, but she just doesn't get it. She cut off sex with me because she says that she finds me repulsive when I'm coming at her all blitzed. So when I head out to the Stripper Club I will get it on in the back with one of the dancers. I know it's cheating, but what choice does she leave me??

So how do I tell her that I'm cutting back and trying the best I can? I've told her in those specific words, but she won't listen. Has anyone else run into this kind of trouble? I don't want to lose my marriage, but she can't see that she's playing a big part of it. I've asked my friends, Kenny from Bartons and some of the ladies at Rah Rah's and they all agree.

Thanks for the help.

Donny