View Single Post
Old 10-26-2015, 01:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
teatreeoil007

Originally Posted by Beeraholic View Post
Hey everyone,
I've struggled mightily to quit drinking (4-6 beers a day). I don't have physical withdrawal symptoms when I have tried to quit (as many as 33 days in the last few months) but still struggle greatly.

I made an appointment for tomorrow for a physical. I plan on speaking with my doctor about my problem.

Has anyone here every discussed their addiction with their doctor? And if so, what types of questions, things to say, make the most sense? Should I ask about medication? Counseling?

Thanks!
Totally depends on what you need...so that you can indeed ask for what you need...soooooo....you need to know what your needs are..you need to get in touch with that and that takes some introspection, reflection, soul searching, honesty.

Also, I don't know your Dr., but some Dr.'s are more open and helpful than others. As far as asking for medication: we can't give medical advice here, but I didn't have any withdrawl symptoms when I quit...a few cravings, yes..

HOWEVER, I needed to address WHY I even drank in the first place! And for me it was a combination of insomnia, depression, unresolved grief, and coping with stress...also: maybe coping with going through life's changes and coming to terms with changes...

So...long story short, I WAS open with my Dr. and she was great about it all: non-judgmental, supportive, great suggestions, medication for sleep and depression, encouragement to stick with counseling, etc. If you are a person that suffered withdrawls a Dr. MIGHT also prescribe something for that, plus it's good to remember that some alcohol withdrawl can cause seizures, and some seizures can be life threatening.

It's good you're getting with your Dr. on this!

Blessed Be...