View Single Post
Old 10-26-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
SoberLeigh

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
Arbor it's my Halloween theme. I do like skulls, but I feel like this is more the socially appropriate time for them.

Very weird thing happened a minute ago. I called a secretary at a law firm to schedule a court date. We know each other from occasional chit chat, so we got to talking. He knows nothing of my personal life. He asked if I know a particular probation officer, Mike, as I also have contact with that agency. I do, both from work and from AA. He told me that Mike died over the weekend. I was stunned and immediately wondered if it was from drinking. Then the secretary said quietly, "I hope it wasn't the disease, but you know how it is - insidious." I just kind of melted and said "I know."

So now I'm feeling a bit heartbroken over poor Mike, and also a little confused as to why the secretary said that to me like he knew I'd know what he was talking about. I've never met him in person as far as I recall, so I don't think he knows what I look like. But I guess it's possible that he does and saw me at a meeting somewhere...or maybe he just said it for his own reasons and I shouldn't read too far into it.

In any event, RIP Mike.
Briar, I have a feeling that the person with whom you spoke thought that you knew about Mike's alcoholism or that he was alluding to his own issues.