View Single Post
Old 10-26-2015, 02:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Berrybean

I went to the doctors when I was ready to quit, but not ready to be honest and open. I INTENDED to be frank and honest, but when I got there I was overwhelmed with fear and just couldn't cope with the idea of telling him quite how awful I'd let things get, so I kind of 'softened the edges' of the truth. Quite a bit. Needless to say, his response then wasn't helpful because it was based on fiction not fact. Then I was too ashamed to go back and tell him that actually I'd fed him a load of bull in the first appointment, so didn't go back. *Jeez*.

I think what would have been helpful in my case was to actually write down what I wanted to tell him about - even just as a list of bullet points (about my drinking patterns, and what effect my drinking was having on my life generally so he's understand why it was causing me problems), to keep me a bit more in tune with reality. Denial (i.e. Don't Even Notice I Am Lying) often got the better of me back then - now I'm very careful not to start on the web of deceit with any 'white lies' or 'almost truths' but I wasn't capable of that then. I'm sure I was very convincing in that doctors office - I even convinced myself at the time.