Thread: A Brewery Tour
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 11:37 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
firebolt

Worrying won't get you anywhere.

I told him he shouldn’t have been there. He put himself in a place where he would be tempted. Who wouldn’t sample the beers? Unfortunately, it didn’t take long for the conversation to turn to deflection, rationalization and blame shifting. *sigh*
You told him he made a poor choice when he didn't think he did. The deflection and blame shifting might be his other issues shining through, and the rationalization is him defending his choice to him and to you.

I guess I would have thought: (1) he would have been more forthcoming with an apology instead of engage in deflection, rationalization and blame shifting;
He didn't do this to you. I know it feels that way... He probably can't even apologize to himself right now - he just isn't in that place.

(2) he would have been inclined to take a look at his recovery program and shore up any cracks and crevices.
Oh man - if only they could see...

He just isn't there yet. He is not 100% committed to recovery.

That doesn't mean he is going to go back to the dark place - he might. He might not. Some people are successful with counseling alone.

Either way - I recommend you let it go. It isn't yours to manage. You will spare yourself some stress if you give it to him - it is his alone.

What can you do to beef up your self care - whether or not he relapses?

Sending you guys the best.