View Single Post
Old 10-12-2015, 01:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
atomicindigo

Let's get this started

I started drinking heavily in 2009 after I separated from my husband. It didn't take long to develop a bottle of wine a night habit. There were so many times I challenged myself not to drink for a few days and I couldn't do it. I never called myself an alcoholic and the people in my life didn't see me that way but I knew I had a problem.

So, 5 weeks ago I did it. Stopped drinking. I feel better mentally. I seep better. But I still feel like every night brings its own unique challenge. I never realized how many TV programs show people drinking. Every bar scene is a trigger that tells my brain - come on, buying one bottle of wine won't hurt.

Regardless of TV, every night around 7 I hit my witching hour. The time of day my anxiety spikes and I really want to make a stop at the liquor store. My tactic is to wait it out. If I can make it to the time the liquor stores close without going there I've made it through another night.

Quitting drinking started out as a "40 day" challenge I paired up with a yoga challenge I am doing. But I keep thinking that if I start drinking again I will inevitably fall back into bad habits. Oct 20 is my 40 days. I keep looking at that date, disappointed that it is so close and worried about what happens if I start drinking again.

I found this site and I am hoping it can be a source of support and inspiration to go farther then I imagined I could.