View Single Post
Old 10-11-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
gleefan

WWS - So glad you were able to get the weekend work issue sorted. I understand how powerful the trigger to drink can be! Like you I needed the support of others who've navigated these tricky waters. I've found so much support and understanding from other alcoholics. Reaching out is one of the best things I've ever done!

BoozeFree - Sorry you're down. I'm glad you checked in. I hope you're feeling better soon.

Koc - I agree with Fradley on the benefits of an exit plan. Having an exit plan has kept me sober in countless boozy situations.

Fradley - Maintaining my ultimate boundary- to stay sober - seemed challenging and anti social in the beginning, but has led to peace, serenity and joy in my friendships.

Inc - I never even realized I was falling short of my potential until I got sober. In recovery I've begun to realize a tiny fraction of my potential, at age 40. The world has opened up for me in ways I'd never necessarily planned.

Amp - Sharing what you're going through makes us collectively stronger. It makes me feel less alienated! I had a similar epiphany in recovery about my friendships. Family life took over, and in alcoholism I became more alienated than I realized. I am friendly and tend to know people wherever I go, but my sponsor called me out on keeping people at an arm's length. I don't have any insight or solutions. It's just comforting to know I'm not alone.

Dizzy - It's great to share the joy of your sober life with you. Yesterday I was going through something really similar. I wasn't at a location anywhere nearly as grand as the Bellagio. I was at an all day youth hockey team event with a bunch of couples who are really good friends.

By 5:00 pm a couple of the friends were seriously buzzed and we still had dinner, a hockey game, an a gathering at a friends house ahead of us. That was ME not so long ago.

When I first got sober I was so resentful I wasn't able to get buzzed anymore. Now I don't romanticize it in the least. I see how dangerous it can be, how messy it is, how disappointing their behavior is.

I have a rather busy day ahead of me. I have to fit a whole weekend's chores between two kids' hockey games. I also have the aggravation of dealing with a hungover husband who insists that he doesn't get hangovers. Oh the delusions and lies alcoholics tell themselves!

Have a good Sunday Undies!