Old 10-07-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
NYCDoglvr

I posted this because so many people put a too much stock in someone not drinking for a few days, weeks and months.

I've never read anything about addiction and cell growth. Alcoholism/addiction is a mental illness. Recovery takes quite a while, it's along process of hard work and willingness to work a program (frequently, but not always, AA). What takes place in recovery (and therapy, which is recommended) is addicts learn tools to curb their addictive urges. For example, active alcoholics are self-centered, have very strong self-will, plus selfishness and grandiosity. I changed through the 12 Steps that taught me I'm responsible for all my actions and words.

These things take hard work and a lot of time. It's about much more than drinking. Bill Wilson (founder of AA) said that drinking is but a symptom of a much bigger problem.

I'm writing this as both a recovering alcoholic and a codependent. In an effort not to deal with my low self-esteem and other issues, to not experience painful feelings I first drank. Then in my tenth year of recovery I picked another recovering alcoholic (no program) and had the worst relationship of my life. Getting my life back was another 12 Step program, Alanon.