View Single Post
Old 10-02-2015, 10:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Stung

We're opposites.

I had anger in spades. Sadness, not so much. Sadness is such a tremendously difficult feeling for me to sit with. Anger on the other hand.....oooooo wee. I have many a time wanted to punch my husband (and his mother, his father, his brother, his other brother, his sister... you get the drift) in the face. Would I ever actually punch a person in the face? ABSOLUTELY NOT! But I was very angry at them and had at times thought that punching them in the fact was absolutely just. To me that's anger. It's very pissed off. It's a very colorful, loud emotion.

Thanks to therapy and al-anon (and a boat load of inspirational quotes) I now sit with my anger, feel it and I think about it. My very controlling mother in law trying to force her presence into my oldest daughter's birthday last week made me see red at first, then slowly, it dissipated. She continues to absolutely ignore everyone's boundaries - she does this with her words, actions and meddling. That hurts my feelings and makes me feel sad and anxious, because a small part of me actually believes that she can push me to the side in my own family (she's told me point blank before that she's going to hire an attorney for my husband and make him divorce me. She was very serious when she said that and it was immediately after I had our second child and my husband was constantly being asked to leave our home because he was coming home black out drunk.) But at first glance it makes me super pissed off - this woman KNOWS that she's not welcome by any stretch to my daughter's birthday events and continues to force her way in. But she can't (and hasn't!). That's the happy reality. Sitting with and thinking through my feelings actually allows me to feel a much more broad spectrum of feelings than I previously allowed myself to feel.

And for what it's worth, resentment and anger are vastly different for me and they are/were the easiest for me to express and feel. Messy feelings like sadness, loneliness or despair are more difficult for me to feel/acknowledge.