View Single Post
Old 09-30-2015, 07:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
CoveredInRain

I'm 32, three kids too. Small apartment in the city. Used to drink a lot at night.

Firstly, I'd suggest you make sure your partner understands that you WANT to quit. If he isn't a drinker, as you mentioned, keeping alcohol out of the house should be a bit easier. Start with that.

I'm not sure what your drink of choice is but I started buying 12 packs of seltzer water in cans (it's important that they are in cans). I probably down 4 to 5 cans a night, but it definitely helps with the sensation of having something in my hands and something to drink (plus it's really just water, so I'm super hydrated!)

If your routine at night was to drink, you need to make a new routine for yourself.

Keep busy! Take the money you would have spent on alcohol and buy a computer or video game you'd enjoy. There are TONS out there for every interest. Or binge watch a TV show on Netflix/Hulu. There are a lot of free apps you can use to do some stretching or yoga quietly in your living room.

Lastly, set a bedtime routine and stick with it. Make some tea, grab a book, and read for 20 minutes or more. You may find that sleep will start to come, slowly but surely.