View Single Post
Old 09-30-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
ccam1973

Welcome aboard Stephmadam.

Like the others are saying, we have all had to deal with those voices, negotiating with our AV and then finally being able to control them and not drink. They are just thoughts, nothing more. You can get past the thoughts, but you've got to dig deep and want to wake up tomorrow sober more than anything. This disease is progressive and will get worse if you don't make some adjustments in your life.

I like the idea of making a list of things you CAN do during your alone time at night. I also found it useful to create a list to remind myself why I had to succeed in being sober. My top priorities and driving force on my list were my kids. I didn't want them to have to suffer due to my choices. Finally I woke up and choose not to drink any more, I chose to suffer through the tough withdrawals, through the tough thoughts, through the uncertainty of re-defining my life without alcohol in it... and you know what, it was the best decision I have ever made. You can do it too.

When I first started this journey, I was on SR constantly at night. I joined the monthly class and was as active as I needed to be to keep my mind occupied.

Are there any hobbies you could start? Anything to get you past the cravings.

You have the power to quit. Lean on us as much as you can to help you not drink.