View Single Post
Old 09-29-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 267 (permalink)  
Venecia

I didn't quite catch that either, Nest. You have two critters together?

The AV. It is a patient beast. But it is also one that grows increasingly weak -- proportionate, I think, to time. For me, the cravings are mainly gone. It's been a long time since I've even given much thought to it.

And I think that therein lies the solution. It's not just that we don't think about it much after time goes by, but that we don't give it power. With time, you begin to increasingly see yourself as someone who simply doesn't drink. It's not just that drinking was a problem, which it was, but that it is no longer part of our lives.

I found that helped considerably.

Time? It works with us and against us. I started to realize I had more of it on my hands because, well, I had wasted so much of it. Being wasted, sadly.

I started a pretty strong commitment to exercise, which I think has proven essential. Not only does it fill time, but I am convinced it has a good impact on our brains. The more I exercised, the less I wanted to drink. I just felt better. And, with time, I began to look better. I'm down about 4 dress sizes since I went sober. Would still like to shed about 15 more pounds. Twenty, if I really work at it. I don't know that I'll ever be my college size again, but I'm close.

None of this is easy, guys.

But the alternative? It is so much harder. So much worse.