View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 10:37 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  
KeyofC

I post from time to time with you guys. I was reading the recent posts and I can relate with family members and drinking. My husband drinks, but he knows we have boundaries now where that's concerned. He is really good about it and caring. His whole family are drinkers. So being around all of them is very hard. His Mom, bless her, tried so hard to understand, but she don't get it. My soon to be sis in law had a bachelorette party this past Saturday. I had already gotten with my brother in law and soon to be sis in law and explained that early in my sobriety as I am, it would not be smart for me to go out bar hopping for the celebration. They completely understood.
My mom in law said "You(meaning me) should've went. We have went before and didn't drink and had a blast." I said "No I made the right decision for me to not go and not put myself in such a tempting/compromising position". I'm thinking to myself "YOU have never had to NOT drink...forever". This is what people don't get. It's like, oh well cake walk....just don't drink...no problem...
NO! It's forever...and every time I'm around you and you talk about it I want to jerk that drink out of your hand and pour it over your head! They all drink too much and if my definition is I am an alcoholic then they are too....(I am not trying to take their personal inventory..but ooohhhh it just gets to me sometimes)> Don't try to act like you know me because you have no idea what I've been thru or what I'm going thru is what I want to yell at them.
So yes I can relate..thank you! (for letting me vent)