Thread: Procrastination
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 10:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Aellyce

Hmm this is a great topic indeed and one I've dug pretty deep into. Procrastination was the primary reason why I started therapy in early sobriety (~1.5 year ago) and since then I've worked on it with two different therapists using different approaches -- I feel I've learned a lot. I would have a great deal to say about it, just unfortunately no time right now. Will just share this link that I think is useful, not only for creative types:

5 Tips for Getting Things Done and Self Motivation for Artists, Producers & DJ's « Dubspot BlogDubspot Blog

http://blog.dubspot.com/10-tips-to-f...-productivity/

I've also found Eric Maisel's book Mastering Creative Anxiety very helpful in the past and it's also written in an interesting way with teaching tales etc.

If I can make one suggestion as a primer, it would be to try and identify your unique, personal pattern of procrastination and if possible, figure out where the blocks come from (the sources). Some people believe there are universal reasons why we procrastinate and a few might be true, but from all I have seen and experienced, to me these are quite individual, just like our sources of inspiration and motivational structures (which also have universal elements of course, rooted in biology and probably in how society works). I traced mine back very far, even to phases of my early life that I did not even remember in the beginning. Very helpful insights and it's been much easier to build strategies on getting to know myself in this area and how it's actually interconnected with other issues I tend to have. And I think simply reciting "action action action" or "just do it" does not work at all -- if it did, we would not procrastinate.

And of course no surprise that people like us with addictions and a tendency to want instant gratification often also have a tendency to procrastinate things that do not provide us that way. Just like we procrastinate getting sober over drinking/drugging and relapses.