Thread: Procrastination
View Single Post
Old 09-28-2015, 06:20 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Dropsie

IOAA2,

I did not have perfectionist parents, but somehow acquired a very strong need for the approval of others.

A great read for me was the book Awareness by Anthony De Mello, which was recommended by someone on SR (PDF is free on the internet). He stresses among other things that you can't ever have peace of mind if you depend on others for your feeling of self worth, because you have no control over what others think so no matter how hard you try so you are constantly trying to control something that you can't sooooo no peace.

You hear this all the time, but that book really struck home for me how much of my life had been spent seeking the approval of others, and that if I was really going to find the peace and happiness I was seeking that had to change.

Very very difficult in practice after more than five decades of caring intensely what others think and never facing the fact that the real point is what I think -- what would I do if no-one was looking (because really they aren't)?

Net net, still a work in progress but the more I can let go of my approval seeking, the less I procrastinate, because down deep inside I know that its better for me to get my finger out and act.

I often think how truly insightful the Serenity prayer is to people of all faiths, or none. If we really let go of everything we cannot control, which is everything except ourselves, and focus on what we can, which is ourselves (and our relationship to the Universe if you believe in that), we really have shot at peace, real peace.

So, re my accountability thread, one thing down two to go -- keep your fingers crossed for me.