Thread: Procrastination
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 01:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
fantail
now's the time

I'd like to join this thread!

I'm a lifelong procrastinator. But at the moment I'm starting my own business. Partially because I messed up my career, and this seems to be the easiest approach to getting it started again (sounds strange but I found myself freelancing and decided, easier to build on this than try to explain my way back onto the ladder). Which is a terrible idea... um, exciting opportunity for growth... for a person like me.

Right now I'm trying to do an online course to clean up some of my rust spots in one area of expertise. It's a six hour video, so, probably eight hours when you add in time for note-taking and experimenting. Not a simple project, but that has been my top priority since mid-day Friday and I'm still only about halfway through. Not. Good. I need to be fully back up to speed on this stuff by a meeting on Wednesday, and I know that's going to include at least one or two more refresh courses, so I need to move.

I'm not at all surprised that it's similar to drinking/addiction... it certainly makes me feel worse before, after, and at least partially during, and I do it anyway.

I also found out (while procrastinating yesterday!) that not only is this stuff important for life success in general, it's important for sobriety! I found a study that tied sobriety at 16 years out to:
  1. Seeing one's drinking as a significant problem
  2. Self-efficacy (which means the ability to be in high-risk situations without drinking)
  3. Using approach coping rather than avoidance coping behaviors
The last means dealing with uncomfortable situations by doing something positive that lessens the stress of the situation, rather than just purely distracting oneself until it goes away (which, it doesn't).

So, as I plan on staying sober, I need to get a hold on this situation. Thanks for starting this thread!