View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 07:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
dandylion
Community Greeter

Zircon....unfortunately, any efforts to do "controlled drinking" do not work for an alcoholic. They can work for a time....or the person can white knuckle it for a period of time....but, the compulsion to drink will eventually, override.
Most all alcoholics will try to do controlled drinking.....often, many times, in an effort to be able to continuing drinking. To never have another drink sounds like death to an alcoholic. Most will fight it tooth and nail....for years or decades, even. Some never give up.
It sounds like he isn't even close to wanting recovery. Thus, his denial and desire to continue drinking will color every thought and action.
Hon, you are fighting something that is beyond your control. You will not "win". He will want recovery, some day, for himself.....or, he won't. The best you can do is to get out of his way.....so that you don't prevent him from hitting his bottom, sooner.
Yes! By all means see a lawyer about all of your rights. That will be essential.
I would carefully reconsider entering business contracts with him. You stand to loose a lot.

These words of mi ne are harsh to your ears, I know. I hate to write them, even.
This is just the reality of this disease....
However....the sooner one can face the reality of this disease...the sooner one can protect oneself from the ravages that it brings to the alcoholic and all of the loved ones.

The young man that you are talking about....the reality is that he is 27 and will have to make his own judgements about who he listens to. I don't believe that your involvement will do much, if any good. It can add a lo t m ore drama and chaos to your life, though. Your husband should probably mind his own business.....good luck with that!....lol!

Oh, and you might as well stop watching the bottle.....that will just drive you more "crazy"......

dandylion