Thread: Procrastination
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 06:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
RDBplus3

Hello Dropsie,

I seem to SUFFER from the same (certainly similar) ailment.
I often 'force' myself to do what needs to be done, but when I get overwhelmed (stay overwhelmed?) my mind seems to lock up, and I avoid doing what I know I need to be doing ... and that creates the 'life condition' of ALWAYS doing the most URGENT task, which is due largely to my 'procrastination'. I like the saying - Procrastination is Sloth in 5 syllables - but it seems to more deeply systemic than just being 'slothful', which I don't characterize myself as. My best assessment is as I said above, when I am overwhelmed I tend to lock-up.

Some things that helped me in early sobriety, and continues to help me now also:
When I get mentally and emotionally 'locked-up' I focus on 2 things - Do the Next Right Thing ... and the Sister action ... Do the Next Thing that Needs to be Done.

I also play this thought process out (which is based on the cheesy commercial)
+ My Feelings = Low Priority
+ Doing the Work that needs to be done = High Priority
(Steps, Prayers, Quiet-Mind Meditation ... and doing whatever day-to-day tasks of Living Life on Life's Terms)
+ Doing the Work when not feeling very enthusiastic = PRICELESS

RDBplus3 ... Happy, Joyous and FREE ... and as productive as I hold myself accountable to be ... thru Doing the Work

Thanks for the Post Dropsie

PS - as for your critical & oppressive situations and personal feelings - I like the Scripture - You Lord are a Shield for Me, You are My Strength and the Lifter of My Head
I Pray for God to shine the Sunlight if His Spirit into your Soul and Spirit