Thread: Procrastination
View Single Post
Old 09-27-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Dropsie

Procrastination

I am 55, a mom to two daughters, 11 and 22, have a seriously demented and extremely emotionally abusive ex, and a nice new guy (unusual for me, I know).

I have fought off a lot of demons over my life -- cigarettes and substances when I was young, very serious clinical depression in the middle, and most recently alcohol. I have always sought out people who are critical (hence the Ex) and have serious trouble accepting anything positive, including money, and tend to run away every time success or financial security knocks at my door.

I am not sure where this need to self destruct comes from, but I have decided that rather than spend a lot of time searching for the cause, my goal is to find peace of mind, which is MUCH tougher than it sounds. Impossible for many, and darn difficult for everyone.

In my quest for peace of mind, I have found a huge road block in my procrastination. I seem completely unable to stay on task, which has gotten worse with every other demon I slay. Its like I have to do something to kick my ass, so every time something looks up in other areas, the time suck steps in to take up the slack. The result is that I am in serious trouble if I don't make a change now.

Hence the reason for my post -- Too Shabby and I were chatting on Cows thread about our shared problem with keeping time, and decided rather than hijack that terrific place, to start a thread to try and keep each other on task, and we hope that others with this issue will join as well.

Research shows that a lot of the same issues that drive alcohol and other substance abuse drives procrastination, which is a much more complex phenomenon than it is given credit for, so hopefully having a place to remain accountable will help.

Hopefully together we can be stronger.