Old 09-25-2015, 10:27 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Berrybean

It might help to remember that he's not 'running' the meeting. He's SERVING the meeting (just like the person making the tea; or ordering the literature; or doing the washing up; or sweeping the floor) for the time being, as group secretary til it's time to step down and someone else do it. When his time is up a new volunteer will be sought. You may well do the job yourself in time. It's no more HIS herd than your herd. And after all, humility is not about thinking less of ourselves, but thinking about ourselves less. In that meeting you are a fellowship of travellers. You are helping them along their road as much as they are helping you. No matter what service position anyone holds, or how long they've been in the rooms.

In your many weekly meetings, is there a Big Book Study or 12 &12 Study meeting? If not, it might help to find one. I've found it a really good opportunity to get to the nitty gritty of the steps; ask questions; and hear others sharing on specific steps in a way that doesn't tend to happen at general share meetings. Going to new meetings can be a really positive thing, but not if it's just to get away from someone.

Another thing that might help is the resentment prayer (about that guy in particular for now.) With the variety of people in the rooms, sometimes it's difficult to remember that it's principles before personalities, but it is really important. There is a whole room of people who you don't have a problem with, and one guy that you have decided doesn't like you, and you're willing to not go to that meeting again because of that? This is the kind of stuff we can learn to get over in AA, if we are willing listen to people who are trying to help us. Even the ones we're not so keen on.

God, I have a resentment towards X that I want to be free of.
So I am asking you to give X everything I want for myself.
Help me feel compassion; understanding and love for X.
I pray that X will receive everything they need.
Thankyou for your help and strength with this resentment.

There's a really great speaker tape that I think could be really useful to you, but my memory is rubbish so I'll need to check my mp3 player for the bloke's name, and it's out in the car. I'll let you know what it is when I've found it.

In the meantime, I hope you don't mind me passing this on in case it's as useful to you as it is for me. I find it's bloody great for readjusting my focus when my disenchantment with others knocks my perspective out a little...

God, help me to accept that people may be unreasonable and self-centred. Let me forgive them anyway.
Help me to accept that if I’m kind, people may accuse me of ulterior motives. Let me be kind anyway.
Help me to accept that if I find happiness, people may be jealous. Let me be happy anyway.
Help me to accept that the good I do today may be forgotten tomorrow. Let me do good anyway.
Help me to accept that I may give the world my best, and it may never be good enough. Let me give my best anyway.
God, help me to remember that it is between you and me. It was never between me and them anyway.

I once heard, that usually when we feel a resentment starting up, we need to take action, either by forgiving the person or apologising to them. Sometimes it can even be both. But usually if we don't do whatever one is needed, it's us that will suffer. That's something that has really stuck with me.

Hope you feel better soon - I'll try to find a link for that speaker recording