Thread: Scary!!
View Single Post
Old 06-15-2005, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
geddy5

Scary!!

A few weeks ago I had an experience that I need help with. I was hung over and opened a soda to help with the dehydration; I put a chew of Copenhagen in my mouth, and then it happened! My heart began fluttering at a million miles a second (I've had arrythmia all of my life), I got shortness of breathe, and the worst panic attack that I've ever had. I went to the hospital and my blood work checked out - there was no heart problems. The doctor said that most of my symptoms were caused by gastritis, and that I should stop drinking and chewing and take maalox for the acid.
Well, for 18 days now I've stopped both drugs and started taking maalox for the acid. Here is where the question comes in: I'm still getting suffering the affects of the gastritis. When I eat something spicy ( or sometimes something not spicy) I get the panicy feeling and get a little light headed, until I take the Maalox and things get calmed down again for a little while.
Has anyone else had this happen to them? I can't believe that stomach acid would have such an affect on brain chemistry (panic attack), and I wonder if this will stop on it's own? How long would you wait until you went to see the dr. again?
I have prayed that God would take away my addictions and I firmly believe that He has, but I can't help questioning the method. I have been scared sober, but I hope I haven't permanently damaged myself.