View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 06:39 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
entropy1964

Originally Posted by matilda123 View Post
Fricka, I was thought "weird" too. Bookish and awkward looking as a kid and painfully shy. My mom is a glass half empty sort of person too, which probably didn't help. For years I traveled around the world giving talks and her constant remark was, that's great, but when are you getting married? When are you having children? I'm married now (no children, not able to) and now, every time I talk to her, she is asking me if I've finished my current book. Argh! I know I'm not a child and I should let it go, but boy, she knows my soft spots and how to press them. I told my partner I'd like to forego the requisite trip back home for the holidays and maybe just go somewhere fun, either just the 2 of us or with the dogs.
I relate so much. This is weird but I realized after I broke up with my exbf that he is so much like my Mom it is.....frightening actually. I'm dating my Mom. Wow. Even told me I'm socially awkward....amongst many other things. Thanks Mom...er I mean, honey. I think some distance from the family can be good, especially if they still set off old unresolved stuff. I actually think I've finally realized that my Mom did only what she knew how to do. And she is as introspective as a 2X4 so she will never change, never question, never grow. Just life the exbf. Ahhhh denial. I won't be home for the holidays either!