Thread: changes
View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 05:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
stevieg46

Hi Redmayne.

I have a lot of time and respect for buddhist teachings and methods , I have not read the book you mention ,I might make enquiries it is good to have an open mind towards enlightenment .

A favorite of mine is Autobiography of a Yogi by Parhamansa Yogananda . it is about ''self realisation '' he started a fellowship in the USA in the 70s I think , I was a member for couple of years and they used to send me lessons on a monthly basis .

I also at one time got interested in Kundalini Yoga It is more about the breathing techniques than the postures , opening the '' chakra's '' I am quite interested in ''Esoteric '' methods I used to go to meditation classes which involved deep breathing and learning to sit and direct the breathing to different parts of the body , it was very difficult to achieve but very worthwhile .

Norman Vincent Peale 's book '' Power of Positive Thinking '' I also found it quite helpful it was one of the forerunners of that subject .

My method for want of a better word is taken from all different faiths and beliefs , every religion you can think of believes in a Power greater than themselves and hey all have different names for that power , it is their ''own understanding ''.

I consider myself a '' recovering catholic '' today I have no time for organized religion , my early childhood was marred by '' fanatical Priests and Nuns and Maris Brothers '' they brainwashed through a god of fear of the terrors of an everlasting hell , if a baby died they were not allowed into heaven unless they had been baptized .

My parents were of mixed religions and these people were venomous against other faiths , protestants and muslims etc were according to them '' the lowest form of human being and would never enter heaven , very very sick and twisted people , this is all true it was early 1950s .

I also read a lot of the bible and my interpretation of '' higher power '' comes from a passage in the New Testament , Jesus was asked '' will I be beside you in the kingdom of heaven ? '' and '' Jesus said the Kingdom of Heaven is Within ''

That is how I believe in a higher power , the still quiet voice within , some may say you conscience ? does not matter , I would never had been able to go through the steps if I had not took this view .

Obviously over the years I have had to '' Unlearn '' what had been installed in me from an early age , suppose that is why I don't have any time for religion , spirituality is more to my liking AA is a spiritual programme , not a religious programme although sadly in some areas it is becoming more a religious programme or should I say christian programme , that is not right it was never intended to be that way , their are meetings were they mention Jesus Christ as the higher power and some meetings finish with the '' Lords Prayer , how can that be when it goes against the Preamble ? AA is not allied with any sect , organization or institution , does not endorse or oppose any causes .

That is why many disgruntled ex members say it is a '' religious cult '' I know some will say '' you must keep an open mind '' yet they carry on doing these practises .

It all boils down to '' the message that was carried '' you do not get two chances of a first impression and I have yet to meet any new member who entered he doors of AA '' with an open mind ''.

Anyway thats how I work AA and how I see what goes on round about me , take care and best wishes .

Stevie.