View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
PurpleDan

Room - sorry to hear things have gotten so bad. But you've taken a big step in admitting that you have a problem.

When I hit my "bottom", it was a moment of clarity that if I continued drinking, it was going to kill me. And I wanted to live, despite feeling like a useless sack of ****. I'd thought about AA in the past, but the 'God' thing put me off. It wasn't until I was desperate that I didn't care about the 'God' stuff. I didn't go to treatment or rehab, I just started attending meetings. And I discovered that I didn't have to believe in anything when I started going to meetings. All I knew was that people in the rooms had found a solution to alcoholism and they were smiling and laughing, and I wanted that. I was willing to go to any lengths to stay sober, so I followed the simple suggestions I was given. 18 years later, I'm still sober. AA works and there are people at the meetings who are there with open arms to help you on your path, if you're willing to do the work.

If you're drinking 24/7, you may very well need medical help to detox. As someone else suggested, call 111, or if needs be, visit your local A&E.

And you don't need to have already quit drinking to go to an AA meeting. The only requirement for membership and to attend is a desire to stop.