View Single Post
Old 06-15-2005, 06:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
GettingBy

To me, it sounds like the boundary is wanting an amends... and it sounds like the consequence is leaving. I think that's pretty clear. It's not unreasonable to expect your spouse to respect you and take responsibility for unacceptable behavior. NOW, if Beautiful's husband doesn't think his behavior was acceptable, which that sounds like that's the case, he won't ever want to make an amends. To me that means she's entitled to move on and find someone who can respect her in the way she needs, and he needs to find someone who will accept him the way he is (b/c he's clearly not going to change now).

Cap, you're right. I don't rely on people to make me happy, but I also don't like to surround myself with people who intentionally make me miserable. If I'm honest with myself and my husband about what I want out of life, and we can't agree on what is reasonable... then it sounds like we have a stalemate, and it may very well be that each of us is settling on something less than what we deserve. If I express what I want, and he agrees to it... and then does something completely opposite, well that's a broken agreement and that's no good.

A successful marriage means being flexible, but if only one person is bending... eventually they are going to snap.