Thread: I don't drink
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2015, 11:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Delfin

I don't drink

Well, I had a run-in with a neighbor who also happens to be a police officer. It was all my fault. I parked across his driveway, blocking it, while I was bringing out some things to the curb for trash pickup. I meant to go back in a minute to move my car back into my driveway but I got caught up with other stuff and forgot about it. Yup, an angry knock at my door a little while later. I ran out to my car and the guy starts grilling me. What happened? What's my name? Why did I do it? And of course, the magic question, was I drunk? My answer, "No, I don't drink". He was satisfied with my answers, and after some sincere apologies on my part, and a scolding from him, he let me go.
I'm upset that I did something so stupid. Just careless and tired from a long week at work. But I'm feeling proud and relieved because I'm sober, and I was able to say that No, I don't drink. Two months ago, I probably would have been drunk on a Thursday night. God knows what would have happened if I had been today...
The moral of the story is that problems still arise when you're sober. But they don't become disasters because we are sober. I made the right choice 59 days ago when I decided to quit and today was a reminder of how great that choice was.

Delfin