View Single Post
Old 09-17-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
entropy1964

Originally Posted by countrygirl2014 View Post
Two years ago I REALLY recognized I needed to stop drinking. I could not get more than 2 days sober. Life without alcohol just didn't seem like much fun. I spent the next year as a conscious drinker. Last year, September 17, I put the drink down. 2 weeks later I relapsed....hard. Instead of wallowing around in self pity, I picked myself back up and carried on with sobriety. I will have one year on September 28. My mistake on my first solid attempt was this statement "I will never drink again!!" Hours after making that statement I drank again. So remembering the "one day at a time" rule, I have had my longest run of sobriety. Today, I will not drink. Just for today.

Jennifer
Congrats. A year is an awesome achievement. I relate to what you are saying. I had almost 2 years....not only was I never going to drink again but I was recovered. Um, not so much. For me its this moment that counts. For whatever reason the 'one day at a time' motto doesn't resonate with me. But staying in the moment, and enjoying the 'right now' works. Its all semantics but my little brain has to be able to embrace the concept