View Single Post
Old 09-17-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
LexieCat
A work in progress

OT--Counting down!

Well, two more sleeps (how I count things down, since I was a kid) till I'm off to Morocco! I'm starting to relax a bit, as I've taken care of most of the necessary details.

Normally, I pack the day OF a trip--even if I have an early flight I get up three hours before I have to leave the house and do my packing. I've got packing for business trips down to a routine, for the most part. For this trip, though, I'm going to start packing tomorrow after work, just in case I have to do some rearranging or use a bigger suitcase or something. I'm checking one bag and I bought a backpack for carry-on. I don't want to be carrying a 15-pound pocketbook for two weeks--the backpack seemed more practical for carrying stuff. I'll probably pack a lightweight nylon bag, though, in case I find I don't need to schlep everything I normally do. I have a camera made for underwater photography that is also sandproof, and I've never gotten the hang of taking good pictures with the iPhone, so I want to carry that. I got a phone/data plan that should suffice, I took the advice of our trip leader and ordered some Moroccan money (apparently ATMs are kind of few and far between in many places we will be), I bought some comfy walking shoes, bought a gift for the family that will be hosting us for dinner (we will be having lunch/tea with other families but were told to bring a gift only for the ones hosting dinner) and also some kids' books for the school the travel company helps support.

I just texted both of my kids to ask them to give me a call tonight so I can have a quick chat with them before I leave. I will miss my older son's birthday but will get his card/gift in the mail before I leave (though this is the same kid who forgot to send me a card or call me on MY birthday this year...). I'll give my dad a call, too--he's been asking me for almost a year--since I made the reservations--when it is I'm going on this trip, again? He's gotten pretty forgetful.

I just got an email from our trip leader in Morocco with the weather predictions. Looks like the daytime temps will be in the 70s the whole time (yay!!) with no rain predicted.

I expect I'll be utterly useless at work tomorrow. I presented a webinar this morning, which I specifically scheduled NOT to be Friday because I know I'll be distracted.

I'm going to leave for the airport much earlier than planned, because the airline doesn't have online check-in for flights leaving JFK. Hopefully I can get a decent seat. Leaving at 8:30 pm and arriving in Casablanca at 8:20 am.

Holy crap, I can't believe I'm really doing this!!!