View Single Post
Old 09-17-2015, 04:59 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Bird615
I could see peace instead of this

Doing those steps are what relieved me of the obsession to drink. They changed my outlook on life enough that I didn't need or want to drink anymore. It was not practicing those principles in all of my affairs that made it easy to throw my sobriety away after 30 years.

Blind faith is exactly how I did it when I first got sober in AA. I saw the people in the rooms smiling and laughing and all without having to drink and I wanted that. So even though it was confusing and I had so many questions, a gut feeling told me to let those things be and not worry about them. I tried my best to do what was suggested and not let all that confusion get in the way of it. I figured that if I did what they all did, maybe it would work for me, too. I was so afraid then of drinking again that it wasn't too hard to do what I needed to do.

Having sponsors helped me a lot because they were able to explain things to me so that they made more sense. If I was having a hard time and had thoughts of drinking, or just having a problem in my life that I couldn't figure out, they could give me practical suggestions on what I could do about it so I wasn't left floundering on my own limited resources.