View Single Post
Old 09-14-2015, 01:26 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Johno1967

Letitgo,
I'll cover each area separately.

AA Complicates:
- Not at all. For me its pretty uncomplicated. Take it one day at a time without picking up, let go and keep it simple. Alkies complicate everything, sobriety is not complicated.

On meetings:
Some people need meetings more than others. There is no rule that says you must attend but it is recommended you do in order to help others by being there and to get the support you need. I do remind myself everyday that I'm an alcoholic to avoid the onset of "wishful thinking", this would be the benefit of meetings to many.

On Freewill:
Refer to above on keep it simple. I asked many metaphysical questions at the start and tried to conceptualize and visualize "God" in a way that made sense to me. What "God" is, is not really important anymore. I take "God" as a verb and try to live by principles. I allow myself to evolve spiritually.

On Religion:
That's a personal choice. I don't subscribe to any religion or give myself any label other than alcoholic. I do read widely on traditions and philosophies as they apply to recovery and take what I need and leave the rest be it Taoism, Buddhism, Christianity, Zoroastrian and Jediism. Right now I'm reading "Jedi Religion" by Kevin Trout, so you can see I'm open minded too

By all means, question and rationalize if you need to. Just avoid trying to rationalize the "drinking problem". That little merry go-round had me through the ringer for many years.

Have fun with recovery, its your Journey.