View Single Post
Old 09-13-2015, 10:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Gottalife
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

On your questions about complicating sobriety, some of that may be based on a common misconception, that AA members keep attending meetings for the primary reason of taking what they can get. That may be true for those with meetings based sobriety, they often seem to be focussed on not drinking, which is really a form of controlled drinking. When life throws a curve ball, as it will, I have seen more than a few old timers of this type wobble and sometimes fall.

On the other hand, steps (program) based sobriety removes the obsession completely. We don't think about drinking or not drinking. the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. When we hit one of lifes rough spots we react sanely and normally, the booze does not present as a solution. I know this from losing my father, sponsor and wife over the years.

So, as someone else said, applying the AA program to my daily life, living the principles, actually simplifies my life considerably. I am able to get on with life and alcohol plays no part in it.