View Single Post
Old 09-11-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
FireSprite

I don't think it's denial - quite the opposite. I think he's VERY aware that he has a problem but is grasping at anything to try to keep you from realizing it fully. (and it sounds like he has a lot of practice!) Normal drinkers do not hide alcohol, it's a non-issue for them. His actions, his deflection, his declarations about "those" people, etc - classic behavior. Whatever drinking he admits to, triple it & you're probably getting close to the truth of how much he's actually drinking. The Universal Answer to this question is: I only had 2. EVERY alcoholic here will tell that was their standard answer to every alcohol related inquiry. A couple, just 2, never more than 3.

I'm sorry you find yourself here, but SR can be an amazing resource for you. Do you know much about addiction or alcoholism at all? Not the general stuff, but have you ever really read about it's progression, the degradation on the neurological system, the increase in associated behaviors & loss of control over the "habit" (semantics, btw), etc? Educating yourself about what you're REALLY facing is #1 priority in my thinking; many of us thought we knew a lot about this until we were face to face with it in real life.

In addition to the great advice already given I'd suggest going through the sticky threads posted at the top of this forum, they are like our Greatest Hits & contain a wealth of info!