Old 09-07-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
dunkelheit

Originally Posted by emilynghiem View Post
Dear Dunk: To focus on yourself first, please do not hang out with, much less sleep with, anyone who would take advantage of your state of mind, your drug use, etc. Anyone who has your best interests in mind would not get you in more trouble, or get you more confused.

First step is to commit to connect only with positive people who support you in reinforcing your good side, not your bad side. Please stay away from anyone who benefits from your bad side. Those are not your friends, so certainly they should not be lovers or anything else.

This will be too confusing if you add any people to your life who are not on the up and up. They will drag you down further. Please stick to people who make you feel better, normal, more encouraged and able to move forward. And it will get easier as you go!

You are right to get rid of anyone who is making you feel worse.
Good for you for taking that step, and seeking the right support.
More and more will come the more you commit to the right steps
and to quit things that you know are going in the wrong direction from where you really want to be. Keep asking for the right help, it will come.

Glad you at least know when you have problems.
Some people don't even know that much, so you have an advantage.
Only work with people willing to work with you on taking positive steps.

Go for it, more power to you!
Hugs from Houston,
Yours truly, Emily
Hey Emily, thanks for the words of encouragement and for taking the time to reply. I'm feeling a lot better now that I've been sober for a little bit. Still, I got arrested a couple of weeks ago for injuring my ex badly one day, and I ended up trashing my new apartment, so things could be going more smoothly. It also seemed like a good idea at the time to carve "**** ALL LIFE" in huge block letters on the wall. I guess the apartment represents my feelings of inner turmoil and desperation if you want to look at it as art instead of reckless property damage.

I really just need to generally chill out and stop being so impulsive all the time. Easier said than done. Everything I do seems like a good idea in the moment, but then I end up alone, unemployed, sitting around in a trashed apartment.

-Selene