View Single Post
Old 09-05-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
biminiblue

You know what, Troy? That truly sucks. I mean, what parent says stuff like that to their child? It seems like such a simple thing, to be a decent parent, but I know it isn't...If no one has ever validated how wrong that was, I am so sorry.

My mother had a lot of narcissistic tendencies. She was that golden child, the pretty teen, prom queen and all that. In some ways she never outgrew that view of herself I guess. I had to get to a place of forgiveness with her because she wasn't going to change for me. I tried changing her, it didn't work. She was never wrong, rarely apologized. She didn't see how her words hurt others. I had to work out how to heal from it, and it took some time.

I hope you learn a way to forgive those who harmed you, and forgive yourself for perpetuating the abuse against yourself. That is the joy of being a sober adult, no one has any real emotional power over me any more. I get twinges of, "Hey! That's not right!" but it passes pretty quickly now that I fully trust my instincts and my faith that I will get through stuff intact.

I have 100% record for making it through bad days