View Single Post
Old 09-01-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Thomas45

Originally Posted by imignoni View Post
"I'm tired of everyone telling me what's wrong. Nothing is wrong with me. Do I want to go? **** NO! The only reason why I go to the ******* doctor is because y'all motherfuckers told me to!!!"
He's not ready to give up drinking. If he's only going to doctors/AA/whatever because he feels that he's being forced to go, it's not going to do a lick of good because he's not going to be receptive to their advice. That's about as effective as forcing a democrat to attend republican conventions in the hope that they'll switch sides (or vice versa, not implying that democrats are akin to addicts!).

You can't force someone to change their ways if they aren't ready and willing to change. All you can do is decide what you are willing to put up with in the name of personal happiness. Do the moments make the relationship worth sticking through the moments, or are the bad times a dealbreaker that you've told yourself in the past you wouldn't stick around for?

Ultimately, the best advice I've heard is that if you can't accept someone in their entirety as they are right now, then it is time to move on rather than expect that person to change their ways just for you.