Thread: consequences...
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2015, 02:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
emilynghiem

Originally Posted by jjj111 View Post
Thanks, Lexie and D! She is in a teaching program. I was really surprised that this would haunt her, too. She said that the HR people told her that they had to order the records and it would take 4-6 weeks, and that they couldn't make a decision until then, and meanwhile school is already starting, so I don't know how it will turn out. I don't know what the original charges were, but it may have included a felony. I hope it's a temporary setback! I'm hoping too that her advisor will help her figure it out! But you're right, Lexie, all I can do is let her know that I love and support her.
If she can't get hired on at other schools, why not try educational programs that might benefit from someone with her experience and background? some nonprofits or charter schools or community programs are geared for people either returning from prison or whose parents are, and the students benefit from teachers or mentors with similar backgrounds they can relate to.

i would try networking with prison reform groups; restorative justice programs such as: justice fellowship, prison fellowship, alternative to violence project; or any nonprofit or school program that deals with these issues head on. If they aren't looking to hire, maybe they can refer others that are. If she is not welcome in one group, maybe another would prefer her because she has overcome these issues.