Old 08-31-2015, 01:06 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  
Berrybean

Originally Posted by uncle holmes View Post
Question: With your boss knowing you're in recovery as well as some of your co-workers, would that prevent you from moving up in the company if you were qualified?

No idea. Certainly not 'officially'. Luckily, it's not something I want for myself anyway. I already have as much responsibility as I want.

My boss is a funny old stick, and not 'typical' in her field, or of humanity. She sees me working my recovery through AA as 'brave'. This is quite ironic, as it was fear that led me to tell her about it. Every time I went to a meeting I was paranoid about who might see me going in and decide to phone and complain that she's employing an alcoholic. Or maybe already HAD. (Talk about paranoia eh!!) In the end I decided that I would rather just tell her myself so that I could just get on with going to meetings an know if someone did report back, then she was forewarned and forearmed. In the end it was good that she was aware, because when I started getting quite emotionally sick, she ensured that I got the help I needed, which in turn prompted me to start working my recovery program properly (with a sponsor and the steps, not just sitting in meetings waiting for the Sobriety Fairy to sprinkle me with her magic dust).

But, as far as promotions?? Who knows?? The only way I;d be able to tell is by applying for one, and I wouldn't risk doing that in case she gave it to me!!