Old 08-28-2015, 10:45 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
uncle holmes

Originally Posted by SoberRunner View Post
Agreed!! Both of my parents (and an uncle) are executives for Fortune 100 companies... Ever since I've been in the workplace they've insisted I keep my personal life separate from my work life. I ignored their advice on my first job; never again!!

Co-workers will pretend not to judge you but it's human nature--they'll judge you. Try getting a (significant) promotion or attempting to move into leadership role when your co-workers and bosses know you're in AA, NA, etc. I highly doubt it'll happen--and I'd never recommend anyone to take a chance by being "open and honest" with your personal life in the workplace--but I guess one can always 'chance it'? That said, I guess it depends on your career goals within said company.
Agree, If you feel uncomfortable telling anyone at work that you're in recovery and go to AA and it could hold you back from moving up then no, don't tell them you're in recovery.

ABC news anchor Elizabeth Vargas went through alcohol rehab with support from the station and it didn't stop her from staying on top. Same with .many others.

I know for me there's a freedom that I mentioned to several co-workers that I used to drink too much and go to AA. In my case I've been sober for 23 years and have no reservations about drinking again.

After I told some people this, it's rarely talked about unless I bring it up. I highly doubt many people are thinking about me and my recovery.

Most people I know are focusing on their jobs on what they have to do, trying to cope with their own stress, financial issues, work issues, their families and friends after work, their own interests.

As long as I'm sober and show up on time, don't miss many days, and most of all am a good worker and get my work done, I don't feel any judgement from people telling them I'm in recovery and have been sober 23 years.