Thread: Am I wrong??
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2015, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
BlackSabbath
Broken Heart of Gold

Hi dorothytx! Welcome. Your situation and the way your alcoholic behaves sounds like mine, and many others here. His behaviour is textbook alcoholic...and only he is able to make the choice to get sober and stay sober. Unfortunately, nothing you do can affect that.

Walking away might open his eyes - but this should be about you & your well-being, not his. I walked away in June - after admitting I was powerless over his drinking and deciding that I could no longer accept the abusive treatment. He had an obsession with my phone all of the time, and who I was with, where I would go, etc. it was insane.

You know the answer to your question! You certainly deserve to be with someone who can take care of your emotional and physical needs more than a few moments here & there. There are other men out there who don't drink, don't abuse their partners, and won't act like jackarses in front of your friends and family. Your resentment will grow, and it will spill into other aspects of your life. It's quite amazing how they hook us in & make us shoulder all of the guilt. Bottom line - it's not going to get better. You didn't cause it, you can't cure it & you can't control it. Come here, post often when you need support & this amazing group will be there for you!!!