Old 08-20-2015, 08:46 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  
uncle holmes

Another thing I've found when telling some people at work that I used to drink too much and now go to AA is they almost always "get it". No need to tell them any more of my personal life concerning what happened when I drank, the trouble I got into, which meetings I go to. And they almost always never ask me to tell me more about my drinking.

I've found that when I reveal this I get instant respect about being honest with them and find telling some people at work is actually an asset and not a liability at all. It's only a liability if I started to drink again. They've got their own set of problems to worry about and doubt they're wondering if I'm drinking or not.

Sometimes my co-workers will tell what's going on in their lives, what they do on weekends. And sometimes I'll say I did this and did that and then throw in I went to two AA meetings on Sunday and that the meetings really help my sobriety. I've never gotten a negative comment about me telling them that I went to a meeting. And to let them know that I'm not anti-alcohol I tell them it's ok if they drink as long as I don't drink. Sometimes I tell them I sometimes wish I could drink but know that if I even pick up one I'm going to want more and more. They get it and seem to admire me and think I'm an interesting person when telling them this.