Old 08-20-2015, 08:06 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by uncle holmes View Post
Sorry to contradict what many people say about not telling anyone at work you're a recovering alcoholic and go to AA.

For me though I found it a stress reducer by telling some of my co-workers I used to be a big drinker and I go to AA.
^^^^ that.

At first I was super anonymous about it. After a while, not only did I feel comfortable sharing it with my co-workers and employer but I began sharing my AA-life with my clients (I was a stockbroker / financial planner). It was kinda scary at first, letting clients who's money I'd managed for over a decade know that I was sober and in recovery. I didn't think it'd take them long to realize that, yup....sure enough, I was managing their finances drunk for most of the time I'd known them.

One of the things a fabulous mentor (my great-grand-sponsor) told me: He'd never experienced any lasting pain from being honest. Maybe something hurt for a bit but eventually everything worked out to be better - when he told the truth. I'd been a liar most of my life and I felt pretty miserable.........so maybe doing the opposite would work, right?

I almost never hide my alcoholism.....my past....and my current participation in recovery. I don't necessarily mention AA but I do use the term "in recovery" if it comes up.

Recovery has been one of the best things to ever come into my life - it would be irresponsible and selfish NOT to share it. I can't tell you how many times sharing a brief part of my past and present has led to someone asking me if I could give them some advice, or talk to their kid, or speak to someone in their family.....

All those blessings would have been missed if I'd continued to rely upon myself and not practiced my 2nd and 3rd step. Initially I only trusted me and my own judgment of how things would play out. Getting a better 2nd and 3rd step taught me that there was probably another possibility......that it probably involved doing the opposite of what I "felt" would be best for me......and that I should probably put into practice this new "trust in God" stuff that I was saying I was doing.