Thread: Next step?
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2005, 05:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
angelgirl
You're never alone!!

Hi there, I al sorry to hear all you are going through. Did you post on the friends and family of alcoholics? they can help you more than we can. See, we have had the same problem as your husband, so we relate so much more to him, and his problems.
I can tell you that, I don't know if you have any children, but your FIRST priority is YOU, and of course your kids if you have any.
Your husband IS going through alot right now, and WILL need alot of help. He needs to seek out other recovering alcoholics, like throught the AA or NA programs. Is he seeking any type of medical treatment, I mean other than detox? A treatment center is a VERY good first step for him. They can show him the way to a new beginning, and then AA or NA can take over after that. He MUST be willing to do this. YOU can not make him do it, and no matter how much you love him, and want what's best for him, he needs to do this himself. You can not decide anything FOR him.
PLEASE get yourself some help. There should be a local AL ANON meeting somewhere near you, and I CAN tell you that the BEST THING you can do for yourself is to GO to a meeting. They will support YOU. They will help you through this, as you will find you need probably near as much help as your husband does, you will need to learn to live with a new husband. Things will probably change alot in your life, if he finds recovery.
God Bless you, your husband will need your support. He is just beginning a new and MUCH better life, for both of you.... Please seek help for yourself, adn your children if you have any. Life will get SO much better.
God Bless, Love, Becky
Please check out the forum for family of alcoholics