Thread: Next step?
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2005, 04:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
wish4someday

Next step?

Long, long, long story short. . . my husband has been drinking heavily for the past 5 years. Just in the past year or so, it has gotten extreme where he gets drunk round the clock if he's not working (from what I know). His drinking never interrupted his work. . . until 3 weeks ago. Three weeks ago, he just stopped going to work, stopped getting out of bed unless it was to get alcohol and stopped eating. Obviously he got fired. A miracle happened and he decided one day that he wanted to stop drinking but he would do it on his own. It lasted for 4 days. He went into another 2 week binge and finally suggested that he needed to go to the hospital to detox after going through 2 days of bad withdrawal symptoms. This was on Monday night around midnight.

Monday night around midnight was hopefully the end of his drinking binges. He was released from the hospital today (Friday) around noon. I continue to pray to God that this continues but now I struggle with trying to live with him like this. I learned how to live with him drinking but now I don't know to live with him sober and recovering. I asked him what he thought he was going to next and all he could do was yell at me for always nagging him. I've found him very short with me, very irritable, very accusing, very paranoid and like I have to walk on pins and needles so I don't set him off. I do understand he's been through a lot. I just don't know how to handle this type of behavior. I try to be supportive but he takes it as nagging. He won't go to marriage counseling with me and I feel my hands are tied.

Does anyone have any advice?