View Single Post
Old 08-16-2015, 05:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
FeelingGreat
Sober since 10th April 2012

Originally Posted by lfh View Post
It's just my willpower and force of habit that I need to manage.
Willpower a.k.a. white-knuckling only goes so far. You might be able to resist for a while, but eventually the dam bursts and the problem becomes worse.
The answer for me was convincing myself that I really needed to quit drinking for good. That's hard to get your head around if you're an alcoholic so I understand if you're resisting it in your mind.
I had to work at motivation. I did research and read up on the stages of alcoholism, and end-stage alcoholism. The increased incidence of cancer of the mouth and digestive tract, as well as other cancers. The effects on intelligence, memory and mental health. The extra weight and changes to your looks. Throwing away family and career.
All this work on motivating myself convinced me that I didn't want my life to go that way and I made my choice. It was my choice, not someone forcing me to stop drinking. That made a big difference.
If you feel motivated enough to get serious about sobriety, check out all the tips and tricks to get you through the early stages when cravings are strong.