Old 08-15-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
SoberRunner
30 Days & Under Club

Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
I'm 30. I am not looking to make friends at work but rather just be professional and respectful to everyone I'm working with (as I always do). I get what you're saying in general. What about the "I do volunteering for recovery centers" angle?
I was just re-reading my previous response and thought, "Why do we, as humans, feel the need to explain things to people and/or try to give people an answer we think they'd accept?" I'm not too much older than you but it wasn't until I was 32 that I finally gained enough confidence (within myself) and no longer felt the need to try to give "acceptable" answers...

I say all of that to say: I understand where you're coming from, as do a lot of fellow new comers on SR. There are plenty of threads from various members asking similar questions. That said, I guess if that answer makes you comfortable then that's the answer you can give them. For now. (Although, I think even mentioning "volunteering in recovery" will result in 'raised brows' and more questions.)

Or, you can use this as an opportunity to gain confidence and stand firm in what your interests are and who you are as a person... minus telling them you're in AA. I also agree with the other poster--you can use this as an opportunity to find new things to do. Have you tried meetup? I think that'd be a great start...