Old 08-15-2015, 06:38 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
JK130

I would never volunteer that I'm a recovering alcoholic. Sadly, there is still too much judgment, and most of it is negative.

BTW I wouldn't volunteer info about medical conditions, quirky habits, outrageous relatives, credit card debt or stupid stuff I did as a teenager, either. IMO opinion a professional environment demands a degree of reserve that seems to come naturally to you. (You don't have to worry about oversharing like some people do)

One thought is for you to actively seek out new interests...and then you'll legitimately have something interesting o talk about in casual conversation. Your new hobby/interest does not have to something mega social - you might like learning to play guitar, or raising zinneas, or petting the animals at the shelter rather than joining a bowling team. Pick something you enjoy!

Sorry for such a long response. You sound like such a nice person, and I'm giving one more vote for keeping your challenges with alcohol private from your new employers. (at least for now, and if they don't directly ask)