Old 08-15-2015, 06:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
SoberRunner
30 Days & Under Club

Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
That's part of the problem ... I really don't do much of anything else ... I watch a lot of news on TV, into politics, art, and such, but I feel like those aren't "acceptable" answers for such a question. Everyone always has an answer like "I'm part of a such and such team and we play every weekend" or "I'm part of a band" or whatever. I don't have such an answer except that I'm in AA. That's why I'm struggling with this.
Ah, I see. Well, I'm introverted too so I rarely have a long list of "plans" when asked... I just don't feel the need to always be out 'n about. If asked about your hobbies--based on what you just said--you can say you're interested in political debates, world news, going to art museums/art shows, etc. Everyone is different. Try not compare yourself to others, as the interests you stated are completely acceptable.

And, if they ask you questions like "What are you up to tonight (or this weekend)?" you can simply say you're relaxing. There's nothing wrong with that answer... I've said that plenty of times and yes, at times, I've felt like my co-workers wanted to hear something a little more exciting but...who cares!

Or, you can say you're just going to relax and going to meet up with a few friends. You can even say you're going to meet a few friends for dinner and __________. (insert above interest--there are plenty of meetup groups with those interests and maybe activities around town? And, like I said, even if it's not true...who cares! )
But, it all depends on what you want from your co-workers...

Originally Posted by Caldus View Post

I became extremely reclusive and quiet at work -- and then people starting making fun of me for being that way.

May I ask your age? Are you looking for new friends? I'm friendly at work but I keep my work life and personal life separate and rarely hang out with my co-workers.