View Single Post
Old 08-13-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
thomas11

Braces-are-off....Permanently!

Long story long, my initial protocol was standard procedure for someone with my situation, which is rare. 10 days in the hospital, braces on, with underlying wraps, and locked in (legs straight). After release from hospital, 3 months with braces on, locked straight, using crutches. After 3 months the degree of motion is advanced weekly eventually advancing to 90 degrees during therapy, but still locked while not in therapy, this takes one month. Step 2, unlock braces at 90 degree range of motion with crutches which allows one to walk "normally", this is one more month. Step 3, braces unlocked at 90 degrees range of motion, no crutches, also 1 (more) month. Thus many months, before consideration of braces coming off completely. Today I saw the surgeon, it has been 11-12 weeks. I was very straight forward with him and asked him when I could get rid of these braces as they are simply a modern day cast. He asked me to unlock them and see if I could make my way to the examination table. I asked him if I could completely remove them and get his evaluation. The nice guy that he is, he said sure. Took off braces and he asked me if I needed help getting on the table, I said no. I navigated my way on to the table, without assistance. Wife tells me he started laughing as he was so surprised that I could do it completely on my own. The most rewarding words I ever heard in my life came next. While chuckling, he said "wow, well you are definitely done with your braces, you have accomplished far beyond expectations" I appreciated what he said, but I kept in mind that he deals primarily with elderly. My wife then says "what about the crutches"? ....and I loved this, he said "frame them with the braces, he's done." Point being, I worked really hard, and am roughly 8-9 weeks ahead of schedule and I felt fresh air on my legs today for the first time in 11 weeks. I shouted "YES!" in the hospital hallway leaving and many people stared and I didn't care, and damn near cried on the way home. I'm free. And much of it has to do with SR. Jeff