View Single Post
Old 08-13-2015, 06:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
TrixMixer

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I truly don't think any of them knew just how much I drank because I drank at home, alone 99% of the time .
Ya know Melinda this statement really resonated with me.

It made me realize I really did not have any friends that did not drink Everyone I hung out with drank pretty much like me. I was a workaholic and drank at business functions, but always seemed to not be a sloppy drunk--but did get really belligerent a few times. That must have made my business associates wonder.

I will say I had a big blow-up with one of my friends and asked to meet her so I could straighten things out--I decided I would not drink that night, so I would be clear headed ----the first thing she said after we ordered and I did not order a drink was "What are you on the Wagon", drooling sarcastically. Let's just say it was a wise decision not to drink,,those were the kind of things that could force me to jump over the table at a person. That was the only time anyone ever made a comment about my drinking.

When I finally did decide to get sober --about 2 years later--no one asked me because I told all my business associate friends I was an alcoholic (surprise, surprise) and stayed away from all business functions. As far as my drinking "friends" I just never went back to the clubs I frequented, so they never saw me again !

I was really a WEIRD kind of drunk, now that I think about it. Talk about controlled and isolated--no one ever got through my defenses , I guess that is why I needed the alcohol to "be my secret friend."
How sad for anyone like me.

Thanks, Melinda, your comments struck a cord with me and brought back some things I needed to remember about those days.

Still very private but very open about my alcoholism to anyone who wants to listen. I feel I was one of the lucky ones to have gotten sober and it is my way of paying it forward.

Trix